I first want to say that Tom Shinness is a true and consummate musician. He loved music and it just poured out of him like fresh water! We became friends in the mid 80s. He had told me that he had listened to my recordings with great enjoyment. We shared the stage even back then, playing songs like The Wind and The Wheat together and some of his songs as well.
Tom and I shared many of the same musical interests.
In the years between 2002 and 2008 we recorded some works in our respective home studios. In 2007, he suggested we put my Master and The Musician album on tour with a band.
I thought that was a big undertaking and I was unsure we could pull it off, but Tom’s faith and enthusiasm won me over and we together assembled a very good band with he and I and 5 more musicians—John Sferra, Rich Hordinski, Joel Jimenez and Bryan and Melissa Lautenbach. We did the whole album with all the parts played well by this gifted band of musicians! In fact, we also did a set of vocal songs too. I’m grateful there is a DVD of this concert.
I realize, so deeply, what a great loss his passing is to all of us who knew this gifted dear friend and musician !”
Enclosed in this disc is a collection of some of the songs Tom and I recorded together between 2002 and 2008.
It’s an instrumental CD except for the last tune.
Here’s a rundown of the songs.
The proceeds if this CD will go directly to Tom’s family.
• The Ark- by PK and TS~~recorded at Tom’s home studio. I played 1 electric guitar through a looper and all the other instruments were played by Tom. He took the improve piece to another level!
• Beautiful Collapse—In 2006, My friend Jason Truby came to record one of his songs here at my place. Actually we had recorded many tunes together. Like Tom, Jason plays many instruments and is a real musical soul mate! Tom added cellos and zither and other bits that actually raised the level of this song to new heights.
Jasmine, Tom’s daughter, told me she loved this song and here we have a new mix featuring her beautiful vocal. This makes this song extra special because both she and her dad, Tom are on it. All I did was play bass, record and mix. The rest of the instruments are Jason and Tom.
• Rest-by TS—I had recorded a number of tunes with Tom at my studio and this was one which he composed and played on his 1913 Gibson Harp Guitar. Just this past week, after Tom’s going to Heaven, did I add a Les Paul guitar part with the sweet tone Tom always liked to hear from me. Rest my dear friend….
• Caffeinated Desert-= by PK –On this piece, I played acoustic guitars and bass and Tom played piano with added ear candy bits. Mike Radovsky played drums.
• Mando and Guitar improv—by TS and PK~
I was searching an old hard drive for more pieces that Tom and I did, and this one came as a sweet and pleasant surprise! We just improvised in one take. I copied a sweet section and placed it in another spot in the tune.
• BCC Soundcheck- by TS and PK ~ We did a set together at Bellevue Community Church and this live recording happened at soundcheck---There are no overdubs! We just used loopers and had a a good time ! You can actually hear Tom laugh in this recording. I just recently re discovered this piece.
• Waltz—by PK and TS ~ I love this piece. I played the acoustic guitars and Tom played bass, fretless bass piano, cellos and penny whistle. Mike Radovsky played drums.
• Far East Of Cleveland—by PK and TS~ On this piece, I played 2 acoustic guitars and Tom played everything else, including the percussion~ and there’s a lot going on~ zithers, basses, strings and piano. He again brought my idea to a new and higher level!
• Cascading- by PK~ After I had created the guitar parts, Tom added flute, zithers and cellos. Jonathan Willis did horns and strings as well. Mike Radovsky played drums. Jonathon Willis provided the strings and horns. I can almost see the Swiss Alps! By the way, tracks 4,7,8 and 9 are on my Phantasmagorical CD. Jasmine Shinness, Tom’s daughter designed the beautiful cover for this album!
• Guitar and Bass improv-by PK and TS~~ This is the longest piece on the CD. We did improvise through the greater part of this piece with a couple of “punching in” points. This piece shows Tom’s great upright bass playing. I think Tom could play any instrument that was meant to be played.
• Seems Like Yesterday- by PK ~Tom came over to visit and he played a very pretty acoustic rhythm part on this song. A different mix of this song appears on my album The Song Within.
• Thank You For Today-by PK and words by Todd Albertson. This is the only vocal tune on this disc. Just the other day I re sang the vocals and did a new mix where you can hear Tom’s cellos and vocal harmonies better. Besides cellos, Tom played harmonium (air organ), percussion and bass.
Tracks-1,3,5,6,7,8 and 10 Produced by Phil Keaggy
and Tom Shinness
Track- 2 Produced by Jason Truby, Phil Keaggy and Tom Shinness
Tracks-4,9,11 and 12 Produced by Phil Keaggy
Track 2) jasontrubypublishing –ASCAP
Phil Keaggy publishing—sebastian boy music ASCAP
Tom Shinness music BMI
Tom Shinness was born into a musical family. Tom has an insatiable desire for new sounds. He has shown a particular fondness
for, and skill with, the 1913 Gibson harp guitar featured on his CD "Translucent Harp". His recordings showcase all original instrumental music with jazz, folk, and pop elements. -FD...more